Making a Complaint


Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise informally with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.


Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be Within 12 months of the incident.

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority.

We are able to provide you with a separate complaints form to register your complaint and this includes a third party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. 

A complaint leaflet and complaint forms are available on request.


Send your written complaint to:

Ward End Medical Centre,

794A Washwood Heath Road,

Ward End,

Birmingham B8 2JN


What we do next


We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days, and aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.


Alternatively patients can: 

Ask to speak to one of the complaints managers at Ward End Medical Centre:


Stephanie Bowskill or Julie Nokes


You may also approach NHS England for help or advice using the attached link or address details:

NHS England

P O Box 16738


B96 6PT

Telephone 0300 311 2233


If you are dissatisfied with the outcome


You have the right to approach the Health Service Ombudsman.

The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel:    0345 0154033